What was the issue you were addressing or working on?
The fund aimed to support activities to enhance the quality of life for care home residents.
What you did?
An application form and guidance was circulated to all care homes (independent and Council) in January 2013. A panel considered the applications made and funding was awarded to 21 care homes.
What were the outcomes - benefits or otherwise?
The successful projects can be grouped into the following themes:
- Reminiscence work – including a 1950s room, reminiscence ‘pop-ups’ (a pub, cinema and 1950s room), football reminiscence project
- Gardens – applications to create more accessible, sensory, or music gardens
- Art, music and activities – including a wish tree and outings, a craft cafe, dance and music therapy
- Technology – use of technology to support residents to achieve a wide range of outcomes
- My Life Software – applications from 8 care homes, for a total of 14 digital reminiscence units
Projects are currently being implemented and will provide 6 monthly evaluation updates to demonstrate the impact on the outcomes for residents. Dementia mapping is also being used to evaluate the impact of 6 projects, covering a range of themes. The work will be written up to inform good practice across care homes in Edinburgh and to a wider audience.