What was the issue you were addressing or working on?
The aim of the Carer Aware training is to make the workforce:
- More aware of Carers and their needs
- To support the early identification of Carers and signpost them to relevant support.
What you did?
Following discussions with Carers, training courses have been developed:
- Level 1 – Basic awareness of carers and their issues – aimed at the whole partnership
- Level 2 – Carer Conversations – aimed a front line staff who are having conversations with carers about their needs in relation to their caring role
- Level 3 – Strategic session aimed at commissioners and senior managers who are developing strategy and policy.
What were the outcomes - benefits or otherwise?
This has been in operation from May 2013. A before and after awareness and understanding of the issues questionnaire is completed for everyone who takes part in the course to assess the effectiveness of the training. Feedback to date has been positive, with staff reporting a greater understanding of carers issues particularly at times of transition e.g. the cared for person requires more care or is moving into residential care.
Contacts - to find out more
Penny Nowell, Penny.firstname.lastname@example.org